Photos of university / #uniofaberdeen
The MSc Real Estate considers the creation and management of value in property from the perspectives of economics, finance, investment and business. It sets property markets in the wider context of the local, national and international economies as well as national and international capital markets.
The degree aims to:
* Develop interest in, and knowledge of, economics, investment, finance and management as analytical frameworks for understanding the operations and functions of property markets and institutions.
* Offer a particular strength and focus on commercial property valuation and investment.
* Equip graduates with the knowledge and skills necessary to address the current and future challenges associated with professional practice in the field of real estate.
* Prepare graduates for entry into the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
The MSc Real Estate is accredited by the RICS, allowing graduates to proceed to the RICS Assessment of Professional Competence and full professional membership of the RICS. The degree has been running for over 20 years and employment prospects are good with many past graduates holding senior positions within the profession.
The Real Estate programme at Aberdeen is internationally recognised as world class. The teaching staff have a wide range of practical experience as well as being distinguished researchers so the programme combines academic rigour with practical relevance. The Real Estate Department is based within the University of Aberdeen Business School and benefits from strong external links with the real estate profession.
The MSc Real Estate degree is a 12 month full time conversion programme which takes students with a wide range of first degrees and prepares them for a career in the real estate profession. It is a well established vocational degree with a strong reputation among employers.
First Stage Courses * BU5030 Real Estate Research (SCO) C (15)
* BU5032 Property Law and Institutions (NH) C (15)
* BU5035 Valuation and Finance (NH) C (15)
* BU5036 Real Estate Economics (DR) C (15)
Second Stage Courses * BU5524 International Real Estate (SCO) C (15)
* BU5525 Advanced Valuation and Development (NH) C (15)
* BU5544 Real Estate Finance (RS) C (15) (may be recoded)
* one further 15 credit course chosen from an approved list C (15)
Third Stage Courses * EITHER BU5904 Property Dissertation (NH) C (60)
* OR two summer school electives and a critical studies paper
* * BU5914 Critical Studies Paper (JR) C (30)
* BU5956 Real Estate Asset Management (SPD) C (15)
* BU5819 Real Estate Market Modelling C (15) (may be recoded)
The minimum requirement is a good first degree (equivalent to a British second-class Honours degree) or above in any discipline. The Director of Graduate Programmes will consider applicants with non-standard qualifications, particularly those with considerable practitioner experience. Evidence of English language proficiency is also required. The following qualifications are acceptable as providing evidence of proficiency for Graduate programmes in Business. Tests should be taken within two years of applying to the University of Aberdeen for entry: Either IELTS or TOEFL qualifications are acceptable. IELTS Band 7.0 or above and 6 in the writing component. TOEFL 600 or above or the computer-based TOEFL score 250 or above. In both forms of the test, you must also get 5.0 in the TWE. TOEFL ibt score must be 100, plus 20- 24 in the TWE. Applicants who do not meet the above standard, may be offered entry on the condition that they undertake the 13month programme including a four week Business Skills & Communication Course run by the Language Centre at the University of Aberdeen. Please note, students who accept an offer of a place will be asked to pay a deposit (approximately 10% of the total programme fee) to secure their place. This deposit is later deducted from the tuition fees payable at registration. See for further details.