The INSTITUT BARCELONA DESTUDIS INTERNACIONALS (IBEI) was established in 2004 as a postgraduate research and teaching institute. The Institute is integrated in the Universitat Pompeu Fabras Campus of International Excellence programme. IBEI is also an associate member of APSIA, the Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs. The Institute is a centre of academic excellence specialised in the field of international studies, combining and complementing top-quality research with postgraduate education. Its activities are based on its high quality teaching and student-oriented services.
Studying at IBEI means living for one year in one of the most attractive and cosmopolitan European cities. Barcelona is often ranked as one of the top cities in Europe in terms of quality of life due to, among other aspects, its Mediterranean climate, with mild winters and warm summers and the comparatively low living costs. The Catalan capital hosts one of Europes most important university communities: eight universities and a network of research centres and scientific parks provide a thriving environment for study and research.
MASTERS IN INTERNATIONAL SECURITY
The masters degree is accredited by the Spanish Ministry of Education and will be jointly awarded by three renowned Barcelona universities: the Universitat Pompeu Fabra, the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona and the Universitat de Barcelona.
The Masters in International Security is a one-year, interdisciplinary programme intended to educate future professionals in the area of peace and war studies. Its aims are to provide students with a comprehensive set of analytical skills, robust training in research methods, and a thorough understanding of international conflicts in the 21st century whilst simultaneously demonstrating how they are embedded within the broader discipline of political studies and international relations.This advanced full-time programme, taught in English, is tailored for individuals considering a high level career in government, private industry or non-governmental international organisations, or those wishing to pursue an academic career.
5 REASONS FOR CHOSING IBEI
* Join an advanced masters programme taught in English which combines theory and practice and provides students with both academic rigour and policy relevance
* Receive individualized attention from our highly-qualified international faculty and staff due to the low student-faculty-ratio.
* Specialize in topics such as foreign policy, defence, terrorism, regional security, peace-keeping and conflict resolution.
* Be part of IBEIs multi-cultural student community coming from over 30 countries all over the world.
* Select from over 35 courses in different geographic and thematic areas.
The Master's syllabus presents an innovative structure, totalling 60 ECTS credits. It is made up of a combination of core subjects and a wide range of electives that reflect the students' individual interests. The Masters in International Security programme includes three different types of courses and a final research project:
* Core courses: Theories of International Security, Problems and Instruments in International Security, Research Methods in International Security, Research Seminar in International Security (22 ECTS)
* International Security elective courses: A minimum of 12 ECTS and a maximum of 28 ECTS
* Other electives: Up to 16 ECTS in lieu of International Security elective courses
* Final research project: 10 ECTS
IBEI offers a limited number of merit-based scholarships that partially waiver tuition fees. There is also a number of grants sponsored by supporting institutions.