This study not only deals with the classic three-dimensional alignment of logistics teaching (business management - IT - technology) but also includes logistics-relevant contents, such as management, consulting, and social competence. It also covers international subjects such as intercultural competence and international logistics management, which is decisive particularly for logisticians in "interface areas" - working across borders, departments, and nations. The extra-occupational concept of the studies permits a high practice relationship during the study programme and direct application of method knowledge on the job.
At our university, we teach logistics in an integrated and interdisciplinary manner and understand global logistics as long-term, sustainable logistics.
The content of the study programme is as follows:
First year - basics:
- General Management
- Intercultural Competence, Soft skills & Business Ethics, Change Management, Project Management
- Extralogistics: Supplier Relationship Management, Distribution Management, Transport
- Intralogistics: Elements of Intralogistics, Logistics Systems in a Digital Factory, Production Management
Second year - executive knowledge:
- Logistics Management: Lean Management, Logistics Controlling, Supply Chain Management
- Logistics Consulting International: Logistics Management Consulting, Business Process Management, Knowledge Management
- Master's Thesis
Extra modules: Marketing, Human Resources Management, Industrial Psychology
Educational organisationDistance learning course integrated into the profession, based on three core elements:
- Flexible, independent studies using online textbooks and learning materials
- Learning together via the online platform OpenOLAT, and
- Residential teaching phases with methods of active and reflection-promoting teaching, such as case studies, exercises in a Digital Factory, presentations, group work, etc.
The studies are designed as a time- and mostly location-independent blended learning concept and are suitable for employees from around the world who would like to acquire further qualifications without interrupting their career. The teaching contents are mostly provided electronically in the form of texts. The latest trends and insights can thus be integrated and updated at all times.
Study abroad unit(s)None
InternshipsThe study programme does not include an internship, since the students are all professionals. One benefit of this praxis-oriented distance learning programme is that students can implement their new knowledge in their daily work from the beginning of their studies in order to improve their efficiency. A further advantage is that students gain interesting insights into logistics solutions implemented in the companies of the other students.
Forms of assessmentThe residential teaching phases cover some modules or module subjects. In the first step, there is a lesson or learning phase, soon followed by the examination of the corresponding module - as a written exam, oral exam, presentation of a student paper, or term paper in the English language. Thus, a comprehensive final exam at the end of the studies is not necessary.
The Master's thesis is usually written in the fourth semester. Students may suggest the subject. From the time the subject is assigned, the student has up to six months of support time for the Master's thesis. The thesis is between 70 and 120 pages in length, in a specified layout. At the end of the studies, a 30-minute colloquium will be held, in which each student will orally defend his or her thesis. This can be done virtually on request.
Course objectivesThe objective of the programme is to help you obtain
- a greater understanding of the various areas within logistics for professional conceptual competences
- a refinement of your skills in the fields of management and consulting to help you decide, negotiate, and act on a leading level and
- preparation for individuals in leading or senior management positions to make innovative and efficient decisions
Graduates of this international programme are in high demand as executives or project managers in a variety of fields in industry and trade as well as in services and consulting.
The compact, hands-on curriculum allows future graduates to acquire the relevant strategies, techniques, and skills they need for their respective jobs. This degree qualifies them to gain access to positions in the higher civil service and/or for doctoral degree programmes.
Language requirementsApplicants must provide documentary proof of English language skills equal to at least level C1 (CEFR) or equivalent (e. g., IELTS 7.0 and higher, CAE, BEC higher, TOEFL iBT 110 - 119, and other known tests).
Applicants do not need to provide any proof of German skills.
Academic requirements(a) Postgraduates (with academic degree of 210 ECTS credit points)
1. academic degree with a grade of at least 2.5 (according to the German grading system, equivalent to a "good" or lower second)
2. work experience (at least one year) after the first academic degree in the fields of business administration, technology or IT, respectively, and at least a further year before completing this MBA degree
3. documentary proof of English language skills equal to at least level C1 (CEFR) or equivalent (e. g., IELTS 7.0 and higher, CAE, BEC higher, TOEFL iBT 110 - 119)
4. students with a grade lower than 2.5 (according to the German grading system) must take an admission test (normally feasible in your country and online)
5. students with an academic degree of only 180 ECTS credit points have to take a compulsory extra module (Specific Management Skills, additional fee: 500 EUR)
(b) Students without an academic degree
1. university entrance qualification (equivalent to the German Hochschulzugangsberechtigung)
2. certificate of employment which proves significant executive work experience (at least three years), closely aligned to the study programme in the fields of business administration, technology or IT, respectively, as well as experience abroad
3. admission test (normally feasible in your country and online)
4. documentary proof of English language skills equal to at least level C1 (CEFR) or equivalent (e. g., IELTS 7.0 and higher, CAE, BEC higher, TOEFL iBT 110 - 119)
5. compulsory extra module (Specific Management Skills, additional fee: 500 EUR)