Photos of university / #ubridgeport
A Bachelor of Music degree from the University of Bridgeport will provide students with the preparation they need to build a career in todays music world. UB has been training musicians since 1947. We offer an experienced and dedicated faculty of artistteachers, the kind of personal attention and advising usually found at small colleges, and the sort of spacious and well-designed facilities typically found at large universities.
Music is a broad field with many potential career paths, and our program prepares students to make their way in music through a curriculum which combines a strong foundation with the flexibility and innovation needed to meet individual students needs.
Proximity to New York, the worlds largest center for recording and live performance, as well as the vibrant arts community in Bridgeport and neighboring cities such as New Haven, provide many opportunities for students to hear performances, perform themselves, and intern.
Detailed Course FactsApplication deadline July 1 is the last date to apply for the Fall Semester which begins late August/early September;November 1 is the last date to apply for the Spring Semester which begins mid-January Tuition fee
- USD 30965 Year (National)
- USD 30965 Year (International)
UBs Music & Performing Arts Program offers the four-year Bachelor of Music degree with three distinct concentrations: Music Business, Music Education, and Music Performance. We also offer minors in Music and in Theater. Many music majors complete the requirements for more than one concentration. Successful graduates of the program can be found performing and teaching throughout the state and region, and have gone on to graduate study at leading schools.
The program core consists of:
- Four semesters of music theory
- Four semesters of aural theory
- Four or more courses in music history
- Two semesters of piano study
- One semester of music technology
- Private lessons on the major instrument each semester of residence
- Performing in one or more ensembles each semester of residence
A combination of intensive musical studies and courses in UBs Ernest Trefz School of Business designed to help musicians become entrepreneurial professionals ready to succeed in todays marketplace. Qualified candidates who complete this concentration are competitive candidates for admission to MBA programs at UB and elsewhere.
The Music Education concentration is designed to provide foundational training and experiences for prospective music teachers, and prepare them to enter a masters degree program in music education. The Music Program and the Universitys School of Education offer a masters degree (M.S.) which leads to initial teaching certification in music. Qualified candidates who complete this concentration receive preferred consideration for admission to the graduate program. Students can complete their BM and MS in five consecutive years, with an additional semester for resident teaching. Graduates of this program enjoy a competitive job placement rate and have built careers as exemplary music teachers throughout the state and region.
The Music Performance concentration is designed to refine and develop skills essential to professional musicians. Extensive collaborative performing experience in ensembles, solo performance, and private study on a major instrument are central to this concentration. Students are expected to study a major instrument, including bass, bassoon, clarinet, drumset, flute, guitar, harpsichord, horn, oboe, percussion piano, saxophone, sitar, tabla, trumpet, trombone, tuba, violin, viola, violincello, or voice.
By completing the Bachelor of Music degree, students will:
English Language Requirements
IELTS band : 6 TOEFL paper-based test score : 500 TOEFL iBT® test : 61
To study at this university, you have to speak English. We advice you totake an IELTS test.
You can demonstrate proof of English Language competency by meeting any one of the criteria listed below:
1. A letter certifying completion of level 6 at the Universitys English Language Institute (ELI).
Attainment of a satisfactory score on the University of Bridgeports English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB).
2. A minimum TOEFL score of 500 (PBT), 173 (CBT), or 61 (IBT) for undergraduates and a minimum score of 550 (PBT), 213 (CBT), or 80 (IBT) for graduates (post-graduates).
3. A minimum IELTS (Cambridge Testing) Band score of 6.0 for Undergraduates and a minimum Band score of 6.5 for graduates (post-graduates).
4. A transcript from an accredited American university indicating a grade of C or better in one semester of college English Composition.
5. Critical Reading SAT score of 400 or above; or ACT English score of 19 or above.
6.An official letter certifying completion of ELS (English Language Service) through level 112.
7.An official letter certifying completion of CSE (The Center for English Studies) through level 7.5.
8. A Michigan English Assessment Battery (MELAB) score of 69 or above for undergraduates and score of 77 or above for graduates.
9. A Prueba de Aptitud Academica (PAA) English achievement score of 500 or above.
10. A level of Advanced on the English Language Proficiency Test of the College Board.
11. An official O level or A level Certificate indicating a grade of C or better in English.
12. An EIKEN score of Grade 2A or above for undergraduates and a score of Grade Pre-1 or above for graduates.
13. A score of 4 or better on the English A Higher Level examination in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program.
14. WAEC, WASSE, CXC, etc. Score of C or better on English Language exam.
15. A minimum Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) score of 44 for undergraduates and a minimum PTE Academic score of 53 for graduates (post-graduates).
You must demonstrate English language competency in one of the ways listed above. If you dont demonstrate English language competency in one of these ways prior to registration, you will be given the University English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB) test upon arrival. If you pass at a satisfactory level, you may begin classes.
No work experience is required.
- Academic Excellence Scholarship
"The Academic Excellence Scholarship can provide up to a 50 % reduction in tuition per semester. These scholarships will be renewed if the student maintains superior academic performance during each semester of their 3-year Bachelor programme. The scholarship will be directly applied to the student’s tuition fees."
- Alumni Study Travel Fund
Scholarships for students who are already attending the University of Reading.
- Amsterdam Merit Scholarships
The University of Amsterdam aims to attract the world’s brightest students to its international classrooms. Outstanding students from outside the European Economic Area can apply for an Amsterdam Merit Scholarship.