Photos of university / #imperialcollege
We aim to deliver world-leading research, to educate the most capable students to the highest possible level and to provide expert advice to Industry. We work towards a fundamental understanding of the systems, structures and materials underpinning civil engineering and apply this to the solution of important engineering problems. We integrate new theoretical treatments, advances in numerical methods, and laboratory and field experimentation, focussing on the built environment and its inter-relationships with the natural environment and human society.
Environment and water resources
Minimum Entry requirements
- A good Upper Second, or First Class Degree (or International equivalent), in engineering or another numerate discipline
- A Masters degree may be required
- Good mathematical skills
- Relevant Postgraduate industrial experience is favoured
Making an application
- identify (at least one) member of staff researching in an area of interest to you;
- make contact with them to establish whether they are recruiting;
- provide them with basic details on your academic credentials, relevant experience and how you would fund your studies. If scholarship dependent, please clearly state this from the outset.
- include a brief outline of your research concept.
A limited amount of scholarship funding is available each year, and is normally awarded on a competitive basis, and may be full (inclusive of fees and a bursary for living costs) or partial (e.g. fees only). Additionally, funding may be offered via studentships, which are normally attached to specific research projects funded by Research Councils or industry.
We typically have a number of scholarships available funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC, which cover Home/EU fees (for UK students and EU students who have studied in the UK for at least 3 years) or Home/EU fees only (for other EU students). Non-UK/EU students are not eligible for EPSRC scholarships.
We also have available a number of Dixon Scholarships which cover Home/EU fees and which can be awarded to a ny stud ent who meets our criteria of excellence.
In both cases, nominations are via the supervisor. The funding pot is limited, and calls for applications will be posted throughout the year until the funding has all been allocated to suitable candidates across the Department.