Through a combination of academic rigor with practical knowledge, the ALBA MBA in Shipping progra provides students with the ability to make sound and timely decisions and to cope under pressure in the rapidly changing shipping environment. More than that, the program invests heavily in leadership and strategic management competencies, which are particularly relevant both as personal advantages and as essential resources for companies in this sector.
The ALBA MBA in Shipping Program is designed for:
- Highly motivated professionals with a clear aim to advance their career in management positions in the broader maritime industry
- Entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs with a vision to create value in shipping
- Members of family businesses preparing to take on increasing responsibility in their companies
- Professionals with the determination to enter the shipping industry
The MBA in Shipping Program starts in September every year and has a duration of 12 to up to 48 months.
Participants who wish to attend in full-time mode will conclude their studies in 12 months and will attend classes every day, during weekdays.
Working professionals who wish to attend in part-time mode, will conclude their studies in 24 months the earliest (can be extended to up to 48 months) and will attend classes usually twice per week, during weekdays between 18:00 to 22:00.
The core curriculum provides students with the knowledge and skills developing required to gain a deep understanding of the fundamentals of management. The specialized shipping courses, both core and electives are devoted to develop a comprehensive understanding of the shipping industry and to strengthen the analytical skills required for a successful career in shipping. Specialized workshops run in parallel and increase awareness in contemporary shipping issues.
Highlights of the Program
- International Recognition: The program is accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and validated by the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS).
- Ideal Location: The program is offered in Greece, a country with long-standing tradition in shipping operations. Students benefit from
the close links between ALBA and the Greek shipping community.
- Specialized courses in Shipping: Business Risk Management in Shipping, Maritime Economics & Policy,Chartering Policy &
Charterparty Analysis, Maritime Law, and International Commodity Trade & Transport are just a few of the specialized courses delivered
by world-renowned academics in the field.
- Specialized shipping Workshops: Delivered by distinguished industry speakers in conjunction with professional bodies/institutions, these workshops provide in-depth insight into the cutting edge of shipping practice.
- Leadership Development: Through classroom teaching and personal coaching, students embark on a journey of self-awareness and personal development, identifying strengths and areas of improvement and putting their aspirations into a coherent and dynamic
learning plan for the future.
- Entrepreneurship: ALBA is one of the elite European Business Schools in entrepreneurship, as demonstrated by the exceptional
performance of our student teams in the European Business Plan of the Year Competition (EBPYC). Students spend four months
working on a business plan for a new venture, either to grow an existing business or to create a start-up, and are expected to deliver
Period 1 (September- October)
- Maritime Economics (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Leadership Development I (14 contact hours, 3 ECTS)
- Managing People & Organizations (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Marketing Management (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Business Statistics (14 contact hours, 3 ECTS)
- Ship Technology I (14 contact hours, 3 ECTS)
- Business Environment in Shipping
- Presentation Skills
- Business Writing
- Team Building
- Computer Skills
Period 2 (November-December)
- Leading & Managing Change (14 contact hours, 3 ECTS)
- Strategic Management (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Strategic Business Planning (14 contact hours, 3 ECTS)
- Financial Accounting ( 28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Business Decisions with Data & Models (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Ship Technology II (14 contact hours, 3 ECTS)
Period 3 (January-February)
- Financial Analysis (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Maritime Law (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Liner Shipping & Ports (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Production & Operations Management (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- HR in Shipping (14 contact hours, 3 ECTS)
Period 4 (march-April)
- Marine Insurance (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Shipping Finance (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Carriage of Goods by Sea (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Maritime Accounting
Period 5 (May-June)
- Negotiations (14 contact hours, 3 ECTS)
- Business Ethics & Corporate Social Responsibility (14 contact hours, 3 ECTS)
- Business Risk Management in Shipping (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Leadership Development II (14 contact hours, 3 ECTS)
- Ship Chartering & Charterparty Analysis (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
- Strategic Management for Shipping Services (28 contact hours, 6 ECTS)
Period 6 (July- September)
- International Field Consulting Project (56 contact hours, 12 ECTS)
ALBA offers scholarships to international students up to 50% on accommodation and up to 50% on tuition fees based on application excellence. For more info and an estimation of your scholarship please visit the Scholarship page under ''Relevant Links''
ALBA Graduate Business School has always been dedicated in offering educational programs of the highest academic standards in the area of Business Administration, as well as a strong framework of personal development and social responsibility. We benchmark our strategies and processes against global norms in business education and we are driven by a commitment to meet and exceed the international standards. The continuous improvement of our academic and administrative processes, our people and faculty, our corporate culture as well as our passion for quality in education, create a stimulating environment for those that invest in ALBA Graduate Business School for their personal and professional development.
All our MBA programs are accredited from the Association of MBAs (AMBA),while both the MSc in Finance and MSc in Strategic HRM programs are EPAS (EFMD Programme Accreditation System) accredited.
These accreditations position us within a select group of business schools across the world, while they constitute another decisive step towards the accomplishment of our vision, which is to become one of the leading research-driven business schools in Europe, on the basis of excellence of teaching and intellectual impact on the business world, attracting outstanding faculty and students from all over the world.