University of Pisa logo
  • Tuition Fee:
  • Local: n/a
  • Foreign: $ 2.83k / 1 year
  • Languages of instruction:
  • English
  • Deadline:
  • 15 May 2017
  • StudyQA ranking:
  • 377pts.
  • Duration:
  • 1 year

    Photos of university / #unipisa

    The International Programme in Humanities (IPH) is a one-year programme taught exclusively in English.

    It is also the first year of a three-year Bachelor’s Degree Programme in:

    • either History
    • or Cultural Heritage Studies
    • or Science of Communication and Performing Arts.

    Students will experience a full immersion into Italian language and culture, which will then prepare them to study years 2 and 3 mainly in Italian.

    During the IPH students will develop their knowledge in various subject areas by a[ending a range o f classes, visiBng historical sites in central Italy, discovering local culture and meeBng other students and people from all over the world. 

    The programme consists of contact  with our professors (lectures and seminars), study outside of lessons and various site visits over the course of two academic terms. Each term lasts 12 weeks. Students enrolled in the programme will obtain 30 ECTS credits per term.  

    Students must obtain 30 ECTS credits for each term: 24 ECTS credits are obtained from attending lessons taught in English (and passing the respective exams) and 6 ECTS credits are obtained from attending an Italian language course at the University Language Centre, CLI (and passing the final exam).

    Those who pass all exams from the two terms will receive 60 ECTS credits. This will be recognised as equal to the first year of one of the four Italian degree programmes previously mentioned.

    University requirements

    Pre-enrollement in Italian Embassy

    Before enrolling in an Italian University, you need to download the Pre-enrollment forms from the Ministry of Education's website (italian version: Modello A; english version: Form A).After filling the forms out, you must take them to the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country which you may find at the following website by typing your country name: Ministero degli Affari Esteri - Ambasciate.

    You may apply to only one Italian university and for only one course of studies. The competent Italian embassy/consulate is the authority responsible for accepting your pre-application request and making sure it meets the necessary requirements to obtain a "Study Visa". They will then transmit the list of accepted applicants to the University of Pisa by e-mail, return all required documentation to each applicant, and provide information about the admission exam.

    Admission for Bachelor's degree italian language 

    You need to submit the pre-enrollment Form A to the Italian Embassy/Consulate along with the following documents:

    • High school diploma
    • Certificate proving the completion of one or two years of academic studies or a post-secondary title in case the total number of school years (i.e.: elementary, middle and high school combined) equal less than 12 years
    • Certificate attesting that you have passed the University admission examination, if required by the law in your country (e.g. GAO KAO for China, Vestibular for Brazil, etc.).

    Language certification

    All non-EU citizens living overseas who have pre-enrolled at the Italian embassy/consulate of their area of residence must have a B2 Italian language level in order to enrol in a degree programme held in Italian. Students will be exempt from taking the language test if they have the following language certification.

    Italian language certificates of at least a B2 level according to the European Council. These certificates must be issued according to the CLIQ quality system (CLIQ is the Italian acronym for the Italian language certificate of quality). The current certifying agencies in this system are: Università per stranieri di Perugia; Università per stranieri di Siena; Università Roma Tre and Società "Dante Alighieri"; sometimes in convention with overseas Italian cultural institutes or other institutions

    Master’s degree programmes held in English.

    Admission for Master's Degree

    Pre-enrolment at the Italian embassy in the country where you are residing (From April to June):

    The pre-enrolment procedure takes place at the Italian embassy/consulate in the country where you reside. This procedure usually starts in April and ends in June: a formal application and supporting official academic documents must be submitted according to the terms and rules posted by the Italian Ministry of Education.

    Necessary documents for the pre-enrolment at the Embassy/Consulate:

    1. the admission letter from the academic committee of the Master's degree programme you chose
    2. your Bachelor's degree diploma
    3. university transcript with all the courses taken

    and, in some cases, according to the Embassy, the description of these courses.

    For all details about the requirements to pre-enrol, please visit the website of the Italian embassy in the country where you reside and refer any enquiries directly to them. Some of the documents you will need to submit such as your Bachelor’s degree diploma will have to first be issued and legalized by the local authorities of your country (for example, the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs), then these documents will have to be officially translated into Italian, in order to get the Declaration of Value.

    At the Embassy, in fact, you will have to ask for the Declaration of Value - DOV (Dichiarazione di Valore) too. The DOV is an official document which provides a short description of your academic qualification, awarded to you by an institution belonging to an educational system other than the Italian one. Please note that it is really important to be sure which are the supporting official academic documents required in order to get a Declaration of Value (i.e. Bachelor's degree transcipts, etc. and whether they need to be translated and/or legalized). For all details, you must enquire directly at the Italian embassy/consulate. Remember that each one of these steps can be a lengthy process so make sure to start ahead of time so that once pre-enrolment is officially open, you can have documents ready to be submitted.

    If you find yourself in a difficult financial situation you may be able to Apply for a grant from the dsu:

    The DSU is a regional agency, which offers the possibility of a special grant based on financial income and merit. Indeed, it is a benefit relative to accommodation and meals. If you obtain the DSU grant, you will get free accommodation, free meals and you will not have to pay the tuition fees. Part of the list of documents the DSU requires includes the family’s gross income and assets owned during the year before the application. This documentation is usually issued by the authorities of the country in which income was earned. Also, usually, these documents must be translated into Italian, legalized by the competent Italian diplomatic authorities of the country where they were issued and must be submitted in the original format to the DSU.

    Requesting a visa after the pre-enrollment procedure:

    For results about the pre-enrolment procedure, you must enquire directly at the Italian embassy/consulate.

    The actual Enrolment will take place once you arrive in Pisa. It starts during the last week of July and ends on 31st December. Keep in mind that classes usually start in late September.

    Once in Pisa, the main university documents you need in order to enrol are:

    1. the original version or an authenticated copy of your Bachelor's Degree diploma (or equivalent of a first level academic degree), officially translated into Italian and legalized by the Italian authorities in the country in which it was issued
    2. Declaration of Value (Dichiarazione di valore) of the corresponding diploma awarded
    3. an official University transcript with the list of courses taken, legalized and translated into Italian.

    Program requirements

    Students who are interested in applying are required to have:

    – A good knowledge of English (B1 language level). Some form of certificate is required. Knowledge of Italian is not required (students will learn Italian during their first year).

    – A High School Diploma after studying a minimum of 12 years (i.e.: elementary, middle and high school combined). If you have not finished High School yet you can send your latest school evaluation.  

    Year 1 of the IPH programme: €2,500 (IPH fees) + Tuition fees

    Years 2 and 3 of the Bachelor’s degree programme: Tuition fees only

    Tuition fees vary between € 407 and € 2,354 depending on country of origin and academic merit.

    This cost includes in year 1:

    – Lesson time

    – Italian language courses at CLI

    – Individual sightseeing trips

    – Access to the University dining halls (with discount) and the University library

    – Assistance from an Academic Tutor and a Logistics Coordinator

    Similar programs:
    See all of the 50 similar programs