The main data of the history of the University of Bologna from the beginning to the Bologna Process:
1088: the Bologna "Studium" was founded by students and for students. It is the oldest university in the Western world.
1888: the celebrations of the Eighth Centennial relaunched the role of the University of Bologna within Europe, thanks to the work of Giosuè Carducci, who in 1906 won the Nobel Prize for Literature.
1988: on 18 September in Piazza Maggiore, Bologna, the rectors of 430 universities from all the continents signed the Magna Charta Universitatum Europaeum during the nine hundredth anniversary of the University of Bologna, formally recognised as the Alma Mater of all universities. Subsequently signed by another 400 rectors, the Magna Charta affirms the autonomy of universities, the solid ties between teaching and research, rejecting any limits posed by "all geographical and political boundaries".
1989: previously limited to the province of Bologna, the Alma Mater initiated a programme of decentralisation throughout Romagna, becoming the most extensive of all Italian universities. In 2000 the University recognised special forms of autonomy for the Romagna campuses, establishing the scientific and teaching campuses of Cesena, Forlì, Ravenna and Rimini.
In 1998 the University also inaugurated a campus in Buenos Aires.
1993: the first reform of the University Statute, inspired by the principle of autonomy of the university.
1999: on 19 June in the Aula Magna of the University of Bologna, 29 European Ministers of Higher Education signed the Bologna Declaration, establishing a European Higher Education Area. This was the start of a reform process known as the Bologna Process, committing the signatory countries to a project to restructure the university systems with a view to convergence, ending in 2010.
2012: the entry into force of the new Statute (11 January) concluded the process of university reform which began in 2010, and the implementation of the new university organisation begins.