The study programme “International Health Sciences” provided by the Fulda University of Applied Science is the first basic study course in Germany addressing the health challenges in the globalised world, now providing an opportunity to complete undergraduate studies with a focus on international or global health in this country.
This programme is for you if...
- You have earned your university entrance qualification.
- You are proficient in English (at least at the B2 level) and in German (at least at the B1 level), you want to further increase your language proficiency and you are interested in learning more languages.
- You are interested in intercultural exchange and like to know different countries.
- You want to make a difference in society.
- You are interested in health as well as in national and international political processes and the institutions involved.
The programme is bilingual (English, German) and structured differently for students whose primary language is German and for students with other native languages.
For all students, analysing Challenges, Structures and Strategies in Global Health (80 ECTS credits) is in the centre of their studies. You will learn about the global burden of disease, the variety of health systems, and about global health policy institutions. Participatory study projects will offer teamwork opportunities for investigating specific issues in international health in an exemplary and practical manner. These projects are planned to be conducted in collaboration with international organisations relevant to international health.
In addition, the course equips you with basic health-sciences skills (40 ECTS credits), with the corresponding modules being offered in English or German. There is a bonus system providing an incentive for expanding your language proficiency: If you choose the language that is more challenging to you, your examination grade will be rounded up by one third of a grade point.
Over the course of your studies, you will be able to choose a focus area or specialisation, in which you will deepen your understanding of a particular aspect of health sciences (30 to 40 ETCS credits, depending on your choice of modules). The relevant modules are generally offered in German, with some of them available in English as well. The three specialisations available to you are:
- Health Promotion
- Health Economics and Health Policy
- Health Management
- Direct university entrance qualification for studies in Germany
- English language skills on B2 level
- German language skills on B1 level
The semester contribution of approx. 290 EUR entitles you, amongst other things, to use the regional and local public transport in the entire state of Hesse.
Costs of living
Approx. 800 EUR per month, including enrolment fee, rent and health insurance (110 EUR minimum per month), depending on one's living standard
From tutoring jobs and student assistantships at Fulda University to typical students´ jobs in restaurants, shops and many other industries in the city of Fulda and surroundings, there is a wide range of job opportunities available.