Photos of university / #esmtberlin
Students will complete multiple projects and an internship with global companies before graduation. Partner corporations include Allianz, Axel Springer, Barclays, BMW, Bosch, Deutsche Bank, Deutsche Post, E.ON, EY, Gazprom, McKinsey, Siemens and ThyssenKrupp. Balanced with soft skills and career reflection in the classroom, the programme will help students become more aware individuals who can make a difference in their organisations.
Educational organisationCourses on the Berlin campus complement the in-company experience with soft skills training, statistical analytics, competitive specialisations, and guided research. Students complete work assignments abroad, learn a new language, and develop knowledge of how businesses develop and shape new technology.
Modules One and Two
During the first two MIM programme modules, students take management core courses together in a common classroom. Most courses include components for teamwork and presentation to improve students' communication and conflict resolution skills.
In coordination with ESMT, students complete an internship of up to six months in a company and industry that meets their career goals. Students intern with numerous companies and start-ups. Official ESMT internship partners for the Master's in Management are: Allianz, Axel Springer, BMW, Barclays, Bosch, Deutsche Bank, Deutsche Post DHL, E.ON, EY, Gazprom, McKinsey, Siemens, and ThyssenKrupp. German students are encouraged to complete their internship abroad. While ESMT has agreements with internship providers to offer internships, participants are still required to apply and pass the target company's selection procedures. Participants may also source their own internship opportunities.
After the internship, students choose one of three specialisations in order to develop comprehensive abilities to work creatively in high-impact careers:
- The Value Chain Analyst (Combines marketing and Supply-Chain Management)
- The Financial Manager
- The Innovation Consultant
Modules Five and Six
Students work in a group on a social impact project, which allows them to observe how the global marketplace plays out in other parts of the world and in other levels of society.
Lastly, the Master's thesis includes work on an applied project while completing a second internship in a company or academic query in close coordination with an ESMT faculty member's research project.
Study abroad unit(s)Students have the possibility to complete their internships, social impact projects, and/or thesis work in another country. This is especially recommended for German students.
InternshipsESMT Master's in Management students have the opportunity to complete two internships in companies during their programme:
1) First-year internship: students begin this mandatory internship after they have completed the eight-month business core in the MIM programme. Students are also trained in foreign languages, project management, and soft skills before beginning the internship.
2) Master's thesis internship: students have completed their first internship, chosen a specialisation, and received further project management and soft skills training. MIM candidates have the choice to undertake this optional second internship while writing their thesis or follow a more academic approach and forego the second internship.
Forms of assessmentAssessments can take the form of written and oral exams, individual and/or group presentations as well as submission of papers.
- Combining technical training and strategic analysis in business situations
- High-performance team management
- Strong intercultural skills
- Excellent team-working skills
- Enhanced problem-solving capacity
- Communication and presentation skills
Language requirementsEnglish proficiency test (TOEFL = 95 minimum) or equivalent proof of English fluency
- A strong previous academic degree (at least Bachelor's or equivalent) in an analytical field (science, technology, engineering, or mathematics) or quantitative economics, finance or a similar topic, OR a previous degree in any discipline with demonstrated competency in advanced quantitative analysis (i.e. GMAT)
- We recommend strong GMAT or GRE scores (min. 600 GMAT) which helps the student's application to the MIM programme.
- Ideally no more than 18 months of postgraduate work experience by programme start
- TOEFL scores (95 minimum) or equivalent proof of English fluency
- Essays and two letters of recommendation
Enrolment feesESMT's MIM tuition covers all courses and seminars, teaching materials, orientation, and career support.
Costs of livingStudents should budget enough money for relocation to Berlin, living expenses, and textbooks. We recommend that students budget 1,200 EUR per month for living expenses.
Job opportunitiesESMT expects the companies participating in the ESMT's internship programme to pay students between 700 EUR and 1,200 EUR per month during their internships. It is possible to do internships in local start-ups and smaller ventures in Berlin, but these internships will probably not be paid or paid less.
Funding opportunities within the universityESMT offers a number of partial tuition scholarships for students of exceptional academic merit. A small number of full-tuition scholarships are also available for excellent applicants from developing economies in financial need.