Photos of university / #arizonastateuniversity
The microbiology graduate program offers a dynamic research environment, broad range of basic, translational and use-inspired research areas, cutting-edge transdisciplinary training, and opportunities to work with world-class faculty and collaborative research partners committed to training scientific leaders with skills necessary to address significant global microbiological problems and challenges.
The program prepares students for research and teaching careers in universities and colleges, government agencies and industry.
84 credit hours, a written comprehensive exam, an oral comprehensive exam, a prospectus and a dissertation
The plan of study is designed by the student and the supervisory committee, which consists of a professor in the major and three additional faculty members. The program is tailored to the needs of the individual student.
- Eighty-four credit hours are required.
- A formal defense of the final written dissertation is required prior to graduation.
- The remaining credit hours are comprised of course work showing breadth in microbiology and related disciplines, seminars and research.
- Twelve credit hours of dissertation are required.
- Written and oral comprehensive examinations are required in order to advance to candidacy.
Applicants must submit the online graduate admission application.
Applicants should have:
- a 3.00 minimum GPA (scale is 4.00 = "A") during the last two years or last 60 credit hours of undergraduate or master's degree studies, with a significant number of science credits included in these
- completion of the requirements for an undergraduate major in biology, microbiology, chemistry or related discipline, with a strong background in mathematical and physical science
- minimum GRE scores in verbal (50th percentile), quantitative (70th percentile) and writing (5)
- proof of English proficiency for an applicant whose native language is not English, regardless of current residency*
*The following minimum test scores are acceptable as proof of English proficiency:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): overall band score of at least 6.5 with no band below 6.0
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 60
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 600 paper-based or 100 Internet-based
Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Division of Graduate Education and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Teaching or Research Assistantships
- Global Education