Chemistry is playing a major role in innovations of materials science addressing both academic and social issues that traverse and encompass the main fields of science and technology. To achieve the innovations that are demanded by the 21st century society in future materials, energy, medicine, welfare, and so on, education of talented young students in chemistry is paramount. The international educational program “Advanced Graduate School of Chemistry and Materials Science (AGS)” of the Graduate School of Chemical Sciences and Engineering, enrolls a limited number of elite students each year. The AGS program includes all major fields in chemistry and materials science, including recent advances in organic chemistry, physical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, organometallic chemistry, polymer chemistry, catalysis, materials chemistry, biochemistry, and chemical engineering.
- Intensive courses on advanced chemistry. As a supplementary English language education, the AGS provides English graduate courses by world-widely active professors
- Internship program. This program provides opportunities (1) to stay and study at universities of foreign countries by covering trip and stay expenses and (2) to work at the industrial research laboratory. The first program aims to increase chances for AGS students to communicate in English and to have an experience of study in foreign research institutes, while the second program aims to train AGS students in the real-world knowledge and skills necessary to be successful in the industrial research laboratory.
In order to obtain entry into the Doctoral Course you MUST :
- have strong academic records at both undergraduate and graduate levels
- have been awarded or expect to be awarded a master’s degree at least 1 month prior to commencement or expect to be evaluated by us as possessing equivalent academic skill
Application Period – April and October each year
- First screening <document screening>
- Second screening <oral screening>
The oral screening (interview) is held in the capital city of your country effectively meaning you can undertake the entire application procedure without coming to Hokkaido University.
Forms required in the application pack:
- Application Form
- Two Recommendation Letters
- Summary of your master’s thesis or an abstract of your research achievements
- List of publications and copies of key research papers (if any)
- An academic transcript from both undergraduate and graduateschools
- Official certificates of degrees (both bachelor’s degree and master’s degree.)
- A certificate for English qualification
- Passport copy
- Any other documents stipulated by the accepting professor
All students will be provided with financial support in the form of a scholarship which covers the examination fee, entrance fee, tuition fees, and living costs.