- Founded :1222 year
- StudyQA ranking: 2175 pts.
- No. Students: 59317
- No. Staff: 2201
- Languages of instruction: English
- +39 049 827 3131
The University of Padua (Italian: Università degli Studi di Padova, UNIPD) is a premier Italian university located in the city of Padua, Italy. The University of Padua was founded in 1222 as a school of law and was one of the most prominent universities in early modern Europe. It is among the earliest universities of the world and the second oldest in Italy. The University of Padua is one of Italy’s leading universities and ranks in the first position in all the recent ranking of Italian large universities. In 2010 the university had approximately 65,000 students and in 2013 was ranked "best university" among Italian institutions of higher education with more than 40,000 students.
The School of "Economics and Political Science" (SESP) is the connecting structure appointed to coordinate the management of training courses of study having as reference the Departments Department of Economics and Business "They Marco" and the Department of Political Science, Law and International Studies.
The idea of a school of "Economics and Political Science" primarily draws on the prospect of creating an internal structure at the Ateneo in which to develop a more direct dialogue between the economic and business economic sciences on the one hand, and the political, legal and historical, international species on the other.
It is a prospect of great importance, echoed by other Italian and foreign universities, against the development of modern societies towards global integration levels hitherto unknown, however, combined with the continuation and consolidation of the traditions and local systems.
I Departments the SESP are:
- Department of Economic and Business Sciences "Marco They", 69 members of 12 scientific fields
- Department of Political Science, Law and International, 74 members of the 24 sectors scientific
Participants Departments are:
- Department of Law Private and Criticism of Law
- Department of Philosophy, Sociology, Education and Applied Psychology
- Department of Statistics
the organization and operation of the School are guided by the following principles:
1) the adoption for three years of a gradual activation of functions School provided by Statute and Regulations, gradually imposed also by the strong "internal" priority to the two Departments, consisting of the 1.1.2012, with reference to both research and teaching;
2) maintaining at the departments of the responsibility of Reference study courses, as provided by the Statute of the University, by empowering the same according to principles and criteria established by the school and by means of specific organizational solutions involving staff TA dedicated to the provision of services that characterize the study Programs;
3) a coordination of the School which respects the specific and the authorities referred to above and which at the same time proves to be able to share and advance the common best practices, in particular in the preparation of plans of study, the organization of teaching, in the sealing and database management for monitoring and reporting the current, in student services, etc. all in accordance with the criteria adopted by the University of Padua and at the national level, the National Agency of Evaluation of University and Research (ANVUR).
Founded in 1876, the School of Engineering of the University of Padova is one of Italy’s largest, with over 11,000 registered students, as well as being a leading institution in terms of teaching and research quality.
It is member of the T.I.M.E. network, gathering 54 of the world’s leading Technical Universities and Engineering Schools, and offers over 30 B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. degree programmes, in the areas of Architectural, Civil, Environmental, Industrial and Information Engineering.
The School coordinates 5 Bachelor and 8 Master Degree Programs in Psychology and offers a wide range of student services (Tutoring, Internships, Statistical Consulting, Erasmus/International Office).
Among our Degree Programs, one is offered in Distance Learning mode (Bachelor Degree Course in Psychological Sciences and Techniques, L5) and one is entirely taught in English (Master Degree Course in Cognitive Neuroscience and Clinical Neuropsychology, CN2).
Our Degree Programs are framed within three Departments:
The School of Science includes courses at the former Faculty of Sciences and former Faculty of Statistics.
Schools have the functions of coordination and rationalization of educational activities, including the proposal to set up, activation, modification, deactivation or closure of courses of study, as well as the common services management.
The School of Science brings together the departments of:
The university is conventionally said to have been founded in 1222 (which corresponds to the first time when the University is cited in a historical document as pre-existing, therefore it is quite certainly older) when a large group of students and professors left the University of Bologna in search of more academic freedom ('Libertas scholastica'). The first subjects to be taught were law and theology. The curriculum expanded rapidly, and by 1399 the institution had divided in two: a Universitas Iuristarum for civil law and Canon law, and a Universitas Artistarum which taught astronomy, dialectic, philosophy, grammar, medicine, and rhetoric. There was also a Universitas Theologorum, established in 1373 by Urban V.
The student body was divided into groups known as "nations" which reflected their places of origin. The nations themselves fell into two groups:
From the fifteenth to the eighteenth century, the university was renowned for its research, particularly in the areas of medicine, astronomy, philosophy and law. During this time, the university adopted the Latin motto: Universa universis patavina libertas (Paduan Freedom is Universal for Everyone). Nevertheless, the university had a turbulent history, and there was no teaching in 1237–61, 1509–17, 1848–50.
The Botanical Garden of Padova, established by the university in 1545, was one of the oldest gardens of its kind in the world (after the Hanging Gardens of Babylon). Its title for oldest academic garden is in controversy because the Medici created one in Pisa in 1544. In addition to the garden, best visited in the spring and summer, the university also manages nine museums, including a History of physics museum.
The University began teaching medicine in 1222. It played a leading role in the identification and treatment of diseases and ailments, specializing in autopsies and the inner workings of the body.
Since 1595, Padua's famous anatomical theatre drew artists and scientists studying the human body during public dissections. It is the oldest surviving permanent anatomical theatre in Europe. Anatomist Andreas Vesalius held the chair of Surgery and Anatomy (explicator chirurgiae) and in 1543 published his anatomical discoveries in De Humani Corporis Fabrica. The book triggered great public interest in dissections and caused many other European cities to establish anatomical theatres.
On 25 June 1678, Elena Lucrezia Cornaro Piscopia, a Venetian noblewoman and mathematician, became the first woman to be awarded a Doctor of Philosophy degree.
The university became one the universities of the Kingdom of Italy in 1873, and ever since has been one of the most prestigious in the country for its contributions to scientific and scholarly research: in the field of mathematics alone, its professors have included such figures as Gregorio Ricci Curbastro, Giuseppe Veronese, Francesco Severi and Tullio Levi Civita.
The last years of the nineteenth and the first half of the twentieth century saw a reversal of the centralisation process that had taken place in the sixteenth: scientific institutes were set up in what became veritable campuses; a new building to house the Arts and Philosophy faculty was built in another part of the city centre (Palazzo del Liviano, designed by Giò Ponti); the Astro-Physics Observatory was built on the Asiago uplands; and the old Palazzo del Bo was fully restored (1938–45). Obviously, the vicissitudes of the Fascist period—political interference, the Race Laws, etc.—had a detrimental effect upon the development of the university, as did the devastation caused by the Second World War and—just a few decades later—the effect of the student protests of 1968-69 (which the University was left to face without adequate help and support from central government). However, the Gymnasium Omnium Disciplinarum continued its work uninterrupted, and overall the second half of the twentieth century saw a sharp upturn in development—primarily due an interchange of ideas with international institutions of the highest standing (particularly in the fields of science and technology).
In recent years, the University has been able to meet the problems posed by overcrowded facilities by re-deploying over the Veneto as a whole. In 1990, the Institute of Management Engineering was set up in Vicenza, after which the summer courses at Brixen (Bressanone) began once more, and in 1995 the Agripolis centre at Legnaro (for Agricultural Science and Veterinary Medicine) opened. Other sites of re-deployment are at Rovigo, Treviso, Feltre, Castelfranco Veneto, Conegliano, Chioggia and Asiago.
Recent changes in state legislation have also opened the way to greater autonomy for Italian universities, and in 1995 Padua adopted a new Statute that gave it greater independence.
As the publications of innumerable conferences and congresses show, the modern-day University of Padua plays an important role in scholarly and scientific research at both a European and world level. True to its origins, this is the direction in which the university intends to move in the future, establishing closer links of cooperation and exchange with all the world's major research universities.