Photos of university / #we_are_ceu
PhD in Network Science
This pioneering, research-driven program will introduce you to network theory, methods and data so you can make sense of complex phenomena using simple principles of making network links. We offer advanced training in theoretical and computational methods, challenging coursework on the basic concepts and theories of large-scale networks, and hands-on experience in taming massive datasets.
Working across disciplines, you will learn how to measure and predict the dynamics of complex networks—biological, social, physical or technical. You will have the opportunity to focus on a specific field, such as mathematics, economics, sociology, political science or environmental science, and take part in cross-border research projects. By the end of your studies, you will develop into an independent researcher who is able to uncover and untangle the patterns of our connected world.
What you will study
- Explore big data: efficient ways to analyze, model and visualize networks of millions of people
- Understand social processes: friendships and phone calls, spread of ideas and the emergence of order from chaos
- Discover secrets of success: how teams innovate, scientists make breakthroughs and entrepreneurs make their first million Uncover hidden webs: political corruption, terrorist networks, global finance and the wirings of the brain
- Master mathematical foundations: graph theory, dynamic processes and graph limits
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Master’s degree in one of a broad range of related disciplines, including physics, mathematics, computer science, sociology, political science or economics
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary research
- Demonstrated ability to do quantitative studies
- Detailed account of earlier studies
- Statement of purpose
Fund your studies
In pursuit of our mission, we strive to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world. This is why we offer generous scholarships available to students from any country. Doctoral scholarships include a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend for living expenses. Learn more at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Where your degree will take you
Be it academia, government or business, there’s a rapidly growing demand for network and data scientists in our increasingly interconnected, global society. Applied network scientists are sought after by tech giants and digital disruptors who want to improve users’ online experience. They are also employed as consultants for developing business infrastructures or as risk mitigation experts at major financial institutions.
Study in Vienna
Apply now and be among the first to study at our new campus in Vienna! Did you know that the Austrian capital has been ranked as the world's “most livable city” for ten years in a row? Find out more about CEU in Vienna at www.ceu.edu/vienna.