Photos of university / #kingstonuniversity
Our MA in English Literature is designed for students who have already studied the subject at undergraduate level and who wish to:
- deepen their knowledge of English literature;
- improve their powers of literary analysis; and
- strengthen their skills in academic research and writing through study and analysis of both literary and non-literary writing taken from a broad selection of historical periods and literary traditions.
All students will study conceptual approaches to literature and advanced research skills in core modules, as well as writing a 15,000-word dissertation on an area of English literature of your choosing under specialist supervision.
Areas of staff expertise include early modern literature, 18th century literature, Victorian literature, contemporary literature, life writing, literature and empire, suburban studies, gender studies and representations of Islam.
- Advanced Postgraduate Study Skills
- English Literature Dissertation
- Critical and Cultural Theory: Identity and Representation
- Cultural Histories
- Empire and its Aftermath
- Gender and Sexuality
- Life Writing
- Location and Literature
- Special Study: American Dreaming: Suburbia, Literature and Culture
- Special Study: Bruce Springsteen and Contemporary American Culture
- Special Study: Gender without Borders
- Special Study: Iris Murdoch and the Novel of Ideas
- Special Study: Jane Austen
- Special Study: Monsters: Theory, Fiction, Culture
- Special Study: Other Victorians: Sex, Crime and Empire
- Special Study: Writing and Environment